Thursday, April 28, 2011

Memory Storage

Over the course of the past few years I’ve undertaken to scan all the old family pictures that go back about 4-5 generations, also all the certificates and hundreds of pages of written history about the ancient generations. Currently, there are something on the order of 7500 files occupying about 3GB of memory. Of course, I backup these files to 2 or 3 different drives, including a flash drive and will probably consider using an online file storage service before long.

As you probably know, memory has been growing exponentially over the past few years and the cost has been plummeting. Like I’m sure most of us have done, I’ve migrated data storage from 5” floppies to 3” floppies to compact disks to external hard drives, and now more and more to flash drives.

A few days ago while checking out of some store I spotted the little flash drive shown above, hanging near the register. It’s about the size of one of my ring finger joints and is rated at 4GB, enough to hold all my family files with 1GB to spare! I can put an entire Office suite of software in less than half the remaining space and take everything I need to operate independently from any computer someone would lend me for temporary use.

Cost - $10. Amazing stuff.

Adios

No comments: